White House spokesman John Carney told the White House press corps at a regular briefing that Osama was not armed when killed. Other details, according to AP:
- Unexpectedly high temperatures caused a lumbering helicopter carrying elite commandos to make a hard landing.
- A woman killed in the raid is believed to have been the wife of the courier whose trail led to Osama bin Laden.
- And as Navy SEALs swept through the massive compound, they handcuffed those they encountered with plastic zip ties and pressed on in pursuit of their target, code-named Geronimo.
- Once bin Laden had been shot, they doubled back to move the prisoners away from the compound before blowing up the downed helicopter.
Watch the Press conference as recorded by C-Span
- White House Releases ‘Situation Room’ Images From Bin Laden Raid [PICS] (mashable.com)
- VIDEO: Osama Bin Laden ‘was not armed’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Osama bin Laden’s death: aftermath and reaction – live updates (guardian.co.uk)